When Bill Demarest first saw a dismantled 1952 MG TD in a barn, he envisioned what it could be. He bought the car and returned with a tow bar, then loaded up boxes of parts and pieces into the car for the trip back home.
The cylinder head had been removed, allowing Demarest to look down into the 76-cubic-inch, four-cylinder overhead-valve engine. There, on the top edge of one of the pistons was stamped the word "FRONT." Of course, that edge was installed toward the rear.